When you look at image above, what do you see? A girl spinning? Which way is she spinning… clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Left Brained: Counter-Clockwise = “Rational”
- Responds to verbal instructions
- Problem solves by logically and sequentially looking at the parts of things
- Looks at differences
- Is planned and structured
- Prefers established, certain information
- Prefers talking and writing
- Prefers multiple choice tests
- Controls feelings
- Prefers ranked authority structures
- Responds to demonstrated instructions
- Problem solves with hunches, looking for patterns and configurations
- Looks at similarities
- Is fluid and spontaneous
- Prefers elusive, uncertain information
- Prefers drawing and manipulating objects
- Prefers open ended questions
- Free with feelings
- Prefers collegial authority structures
But first… what do you see?
Okay, here’s my opinion on all the above
(added Friday, September 25, 2009)
In fact, one person said they saw it rotate half-way one direction, stop and rotate back the other direction and repeat each time. I’m a bit concerned about what that says about that person’s brain, but it’s an entirely possible and valid way of seeing the image.
As Shannon said below in the comments, it is (or at least may be) possible for most of you to control which direction the image turns. The best way to do this is to focus on the lower foot only. Imagine it going the other direction, and you will likely see it do so.
Once that’s happened, the entire image should rotate the other direction, of course. If you have trouble seeing this, put your hand over all but the lower foot and focus just on it. Then once you see it change direction move your hand. See it now?
As for whether this says you are left or right brained… I doubt it. In fact, the generalizations of characteristics for those with brain hemisphere dominance on one side or the other is… well… a generalization. We all, unless brain damaged, rely on cooperation between both halves.
So… can you do it? Can you change directions? Post a comment and let us know.