I’ve been shopping recently looking for the best children’s books for girls. Our daughter is almost six-years-old and I have read to her nightly since she was a baby. Besides the library, I’ve been looking for favorite children’s books at Barnes & Noble and Half Price Books.
The bookkeepers have been super about pointing me at ideas, such as the best chapter books for girls. One I had not read that they mentioned was “The Boxcar Children” series, so I’ve added it to my list below. I’ve included other famous children’s books as well.
What are you favorite books for girls? As a boy, I read a lot, and devoured books by Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. I was also quite fond of the Hardy Brothers. Makes me wonder if she might enjoy the Nancy Drew series of mysteries. You may have discerned a trend. I tend to like older books.
That doesn’t mean, however, that I’d not consider new books. While no longer a “new” book, my daughter and I just finished the first Harry Potter book. She really wants me to start on the second one, but I’m worried it may be to scary? I assume the later ones would be much too dark?
While worrying about Harry Potter being to scary, I read her the first of the Chronicle of Narnia books, as well as The Hobbit. Despite some less than child-appropriate content she wasn’t scared or upset by them, though I did do a little bit of editing while reading aloud.
Here is a list of books I’ve put together to read our daughter this summer. What books to you recommend? Are there any in this list that you think might not be appropriate for a 6-year-old girl? I really appreciate your help and advice!
- Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
- The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams
- Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson
- Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White
- The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling
- The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis
- A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle
- Little House on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Anything by Roald Dahl
- Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell
- The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Wizard Of Oz, by L. Frank Baum
- Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery