You may have noticed that my blog’s About Me page starts with “A Dallas dad blogs about about life, parenthood and the pursuit of sleep.” As any parent knows, sleep is one of the many things that is in short supply once that first child arrives. I’m not sure it fully improves even after the last leaves home?
One thing I do know though, of the things we can do to maximize our health and well being, besides eating a healthy and exercising, getting a good sleep is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. And you’ve heard me say it before, but doing things for ourselves translates into doing things for our family.
We are not doing our families any favors by not taking care of ourselves, and this includes ensuring we get a good night’s rest. Here are TEN TIPS experts consistently tell us about the keys to sleeping well, plus I’d like to tell you about one more thing that has made a HUGE difference to my wife and me.
- Adjust the temperature – A bedroom temperature of 65-67 degrees is considered ideal. Excessively warm (above 75 degrees) or super cold rooms disturb sleep.
- Darken your bedroom – Light is one of the body’s most powerful time cues. A dark room is the most conducive for sleep – day or night.
- Sleep on a schedule – A regular bed time and wake-up time will strengthen your internal clock and helps establish consistent, regular times of sleep onset.
- Exercise regularly – Studies indicate regular, daily exercise deepens sleep, but not right before bed. Give you body time to cool and relax first.
- Eat right – Hunger tends to disturb sleep. Therefore, a light snack before bed may help you sleep. No heavy meals right before bed, though.
- Limit caffeine intake – Caffeine in the evening disturbs sleep—even in those who feel it does not! (Avoid cola, chocolate, coffee, tea, etc.)
- Limit alcohol intake – While alcohol may help people fall asleep more easily, it damages important REM sleep and disrupts sleep when it wears off.
- Don’t go to bed angry – Taking work or worry to bed is a sure way to lose sleep. Clear your mind before you get under the covers. Journaling can help.
- Mask noises – Sound insulation or adding ambient noise, such as a quiet fan, or white noise machine can help. I use ear plugs, myself.
- Buy the right bed – Choose an adjustable bed that contours to your unique body, encourages proper spinal support, and reduces pressure points.
For the sake of yourselves, and your families… not to mention the rest of use who are going to meet your sleep deprived butt on the highway, try to work on getting more sleep (e.g. 8 hours… I know, I know… how can we find time?) and better sleep. And if you can’t get more, then at least ensure what you do get is good sleep.
On that note, let me say a few words about our sponsor. That sounded like one of those 60’s TV shows? But really, pay attention to this, as it may change your life, and I honestly don’t feel I’m overstating this. My wife and I have been sleeping on a new Sleep Number® i8 bed for 2 months and it’s amazing.
I don’t know about you, but in the past I hated buying a new bed. I had no clue whether it should be firm or soft (everyone has a different opinion), and on top of it, once you bought it you were stuck with it (hard or soft or whatever) for how long? Years… decades? So here’s why we love our sleep Number® i8 bed:
- Exclusive SLEEP NUMBER® DualAir technology lets you quietly adjust firmness on BOTH sides of the mattress with a wireless remote featuring a memory button, so you both enjoy ideal comfort. My wife LOVES adjusting her side each night. Me I’ve set my side and it remembers.
- 13-inch Duvet-style Pillowtop with temperature balancing technology minimizes temperature swings that can disrupt sleep. Remember what I said above.
- 3-inch exclusive comfort layer contours to you to more naturally support your curves
- Additional layer of foam offers enhanced comfort and support. We’re talking seriously comfy.
- Visit www.sleepnumber.com or one of their 400 stores near you for details. My wife loved their store!
But wait there’s more (now I sound like one of those guys you watch selling stuff late at night because you can’t sleep), wouldn’t it be great if your pillow had that same sort of adjustablity the Sleep Number bed provides? You know were I am going. Brand new, just in time for holiday giving: AirFit™ Adjustable Pillows!
I got to try one out for a few weeks before my wife stole it (not kidding), and like their beds, it’s amazing. The pillow adjusts to fit your individual size, shape and sleeping position. It actually has an air-valve that puts you in control for more comfortable sleep. There are several great models.
By now you know that I don’t post many sponsored blogs because I’m so darned picky. My reputation is at stake, so I take it very seriously. I was provided a Sleep Number® i8 bed and an AirFit™ Adjustable Pillow with European White Goose Down in order to perform this review. The opinions are solely my own.