Let’s face it. Sometimes we guys need help.
One of my most popular posts concerned the many clothes guys should never wear. The truth is, many of us are a bit fashion challenged, and that deficiency continues into the arena of fragrances. So you better speak now or forever hold your nose!
How do you prefer your man smell? Do you enjoy the subtle scent of exotic cologne wafting from his neck or wrist? Or is your favorite the clean freshness of Ivory soap as he emerges from the shower? Or perhaps it’s no scent at all, except his own?
Here’s the thing, most of us guys want you to think we smell good… or at least not bad. But I must confess to being somewhat clueless about what a good scent really is? I’m guessing it varies by person, and even the same scent doesn’t work on everyone, right?
I picked up the latest issue of Men’s Health and was assaulted with page after page of ads hawking the latest fragrances. I decided to check some of them out and here’s a quick run down of a few… some new to me. I liked the 3 with the asterisks pretty well.
Here are some I recently gave a sniff:
- F by Ferragamo Black * – A dressed up, sophisticated fragrance of lavender, black pepper, and amber wood.
- D&G Le Bateleur * – This mix of cardamon, coriander, and cedar will seduce any woman. (says Men’s Health)
- Coach for Men * – Modern, rugged, adventurous, and bold, with notes of grapefruit, Darjeeling tea, and cedarwood.
- Shiseido Zen for Men * – An expressive, modern scent of spicy woods layered with exotic fruits and musk.
- Tom Ford Private Blend Italian Cypress * – Hints of spearmint, clove, basil, and patchouli make this sophisticated & elegant, and the most expensive fragrance on this list.
- Cartier Roadster * – An invigorating, dramatic scent with notes of mint, bergamont, patchouli, and vanilla.
- Old Spice (original) * – I’m a traditionalist. Plus their commercials make me laugh, and it smells like my dad.
My strategy has always been to let my wife pick my cologne since smelling good to her is is what’s most important. She is, by the way, in the camp that likes how I smell both with and without a scent… or so she claims. How about you?
What is your favorite scent?
* Links. to Amazon may pay us a small commission on any products purchased.